Time Commitment: ~5 min.
So this idea...is not my own. Yay! A suggestion! A friend at work, Michelle, mentioned this technique when we were talking about my blog. She likes to use it when she is feeling a bit pessimistic. I tried it, and appreciate the elegant simplicity. The process even inspired the new chalkboard I have on my blog! Now, I'm sharing with you.
Procedure: At times during the day, I find my brain in knots. It may be frustration, anger, confusion, or just too much work. During these times in your life, stop, and take a brain break. Whilst on the brain break, loosen up that tunnel vision and look around you. What are you thankful for? Say it aloud: I am thankful for...binder clips (much better than paper clips!). I am thankful for...pandora. I am thankful for...the text I just received from my mom. I am thankful for...post-its. And so on. After a few minutes of what you are thankful for, silliness will save you from your doldrums. Repeat procedure as many times as you need to over the course of the day.
Why this is wonderful: It attends to 2 senses: sight and sound. When you are looking around and soaking up your environment, you are helping to bring yourself back to reality. This in combination with the sound of your voice declaring what you're thankful for, grounds you and invites perspective into the stressful situation. The stressful situation isn't so bad anymore, is it?P.S. Let me know if YOU have any favorite selfcare ideas you want me to try! I might just put it on my blog, and I will give you all the credit if you're ok with that :)
No comments:
Post a Comment