Time Commitment: 30 min (or more if you wish)
Ok folks! Things have really been kicking up in school and life for me lately, and I have found myself needing many more "Overhaul" options. As I have mentioned before, there is no single Selfcare technique that magically fixes all stress, so I am constantly hunting for more. This is an old, simple technique, but it is one that I don't use often enough. Probably because it is hard to be honest with myself without being harsh. This takes practice and awareness to give this technique a chance to work magic.
Procedure: Nope, don't start the music. This is one case where music can be distracting to what you need to get out of your system. Grab a pen and your journal, or an old notebook that can serve as one. Write the date and let your thoughts flow onto the page. It does not matter what shape the sentences come out in, you are not trying to impress anyone. The purpose of this is to let thoughts and feelings out, without having to drag another person into the drama (although that is good to do sometimes). Doodle if you feel the need to doodle. Address the feelings that are coming up in you, and your bodily responses. Is your body tight? Does it feel heavy? Is your stomach churning? These are important things to be aware of. Stress and emotion manifest in your body, pay attention. Most importantly, be honest with yourself. But, be careful. Honesty does not mean: "Wow, I am such a jerk and a horrible person." It means, "I feel like a jerk right now" and realizing that the feeling does not define your being. And if you feel like it does define your whole being, be honest about that. Use awareness. It's OK to have thoughts, even ones you wish you did not have. Write what you need to. Your second guesses, your "crazy thoughts," your hopes, and worries. Every situation had multiple facets. It's OK to be excited about something, but also worried or anxious. Be true to yourself, and be gentle with yourself, and this simple technique could work wonders!
Why this is wonderful: It attends to 1 sense: sight. This technique might not be pretty all the time, but seeing the words on paper is SO validating. It makes you feel less crazy for having all these random, conflicting thoughts floating around. And, it really helps cultivate the relationship you have with yourself! You can be upset with yourself and still love yourself. It's good to have open communication with yourself. (OK, I just used the word "yourself" a million times, but I'm leaving it). This open communication might just help you in your other relationships as well!
In reply to the pic at the bottom right::: "In bed!!"
ReplyDelete